How can you ban on IP address alone?

Discussion in 'Denied Suggestions' started by Amazon Ghost, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unread #1 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM
  2. Amazon Ghost
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Amazon Ghost Newcomer

Person A; Goes to the library for school work and decides to log in to Sythe while finishing a history paper.

Person B; *scammer* Goes to the library logs into Sythe to find out he's banned for scamming a pin or something.

Guess what?

Both will get banned. Person A appeals the ban and Sythe Staff stuff crap down his mouth claiming that he's a scammer.

Seriously flawed and a lot of innocent people are banned because of it. Good job.

Banning sololy on IP address should be revised.

Now I understand why most sites don't ban on IP address alone. And no please do not attack me because of my low post count. I been reading the appeal forums and seen this major flaw. That is all.

3. Unread #2 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM
  4. cosrob97
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

cosrob97 Dong Dong
    Banned

They can check if the ip is a home ip or library ip, etc etc. So if it is, they won't ban them just on ip alone. My ip matches Brendan's home ip, but that doesn't mean I've been to his house and used his computer, so therefore we weren't banned for account sharing.

5. Unread #3 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM
  6. Brendan
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Sythe Awards 2012 Winner Christmas 2015 Valentine's Day 2016 Easter 2016 MushyMuncher Tier 1 Prizebox

Brendan Your friendly neighbourhood cuck
    $50 USD Donor Retired Sectional Moderator

This.

It's not a simple case of seeing a banned member and an unbanned member sharing an I.P and hitting the ban button straight away. There are in fact a a handful of things we need to factor in. Including:

1. If it's a Library, School or other public place. We can look up the I.P and it generally tells us this information.
    2. If the I.P is a proxy I.P. We can check this too.
    3. If the ISP that the I.P is located on is dynamic or not. As Cosrob stated, we have a matching I.P. But it's because we live about an hour or so away from each other and have the same ISP.
    We do thoroughly investigate these cases. And if we're wrong, there is always the dispute forum in case we make a mistake.

7. Unread #4 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM
  8. Amazon Ghost
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Amazon Ghost Newcomer

Negative. My friend was banned on this site because his IP matched someone else's. What the Staff here didn't realized is that the IP connected to him is an IP from a local Mcdonald's. Not just that McDonalds but almost all the McDonald's in Las Vegas - North Las Vegas. He was straight up banned and the staff kept calling him by someone elses name. Everytime he tried to dispute, it was deleted.

This site does ban on IP alone public or non public. People make mistakes but only good people fix those mistakes.

9. Unread #5 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM
  10. FireZ
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Detective Top Striker Sythe Awards 2013 Winner Sythe's 10th Anniversary Heidy Not sure if srs or just newfag...

FireZ BRZ Club Member (2014)
    Retired Administrator Highly Respected

Have him re-dispute. Anyways we dont ban straight for every ip match or almost 75% of sythe would be wiped out.

Also note public ips wont automatically save you by using those either.

11. Unread #6 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM
  12. Amazon Ghost
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Amazon Ghost Newcomer

What good is a dispute when they keep deleting his? He was at a McDonald's waiting for work when he was banned. And believe me, a lot of us at the school uses that wifi.. Not only he'll be banned because of the IP but everyone from the near by school will be banned.

13. Unread #7 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM
  14. Dark L3g3nd
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Dark L3g3nd Active Member
    Banned

Well normally there are many banned users on library IP's. It basically keeps out all the people who don't know how to change their IP. If you were to remove it then the number of ban evaders(around the age of 11) would increase.

15. Unread #8 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM
  16. Brendan
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Sythe Awards 2012 Winner Christmas 2015 Valentine's Day 2016 Easter 2016 MushyMuncher Tier 1 Prizebox

Message me the account or I.P address in question, or ask him to dispute again.

Also, members should understand there is a risk of using your Sythe account in public locations.

17. Unread #9 - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM
  18. FireZ
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Detective Top Striker Sythe Awards 2013 Winner Sythe's 10th Anniversary Heidy Not sure if srs or just newfag...

FireZ BRZ Club Member (2014)
    Retired Administrator Highly Respected

If he re-disputes we will look into his case. Also need to grab his ban reason etc etc

19. Unread #10 - Jan 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM
  20. Amazon Ghost
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Amazon Ghost Newcomer

I'll pm you his user id and half of the ip. I can't remember it from the top of my head. I'll also ask him to re-dispute in the morning.

Thank you guys.

21. Unread #11 - Jan 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM
  22. Brendan
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

No worries. If it's okay with you I'll close this now.

< Old donation ranks | Malicious Threads >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Adblock breaks this site