Do not ban for offsite activities...

Discussion in 'Denied Suggestions' started by SuF, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unread #1 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:39 PM
  2. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    <3 n4n0 Two Factor Authentication User Community Participant Spam Forum Participant Sythe's 10th Anniversary

SuF Legend
    Pirate Retired Global Moderator

Continuing on my theme of getting less bans...

I do not think that Sythe should be banning its members for breaking Sythe.org rules offsite. This is a complex issue, so I'm going to try and break it down a bit.

There are many offsite activities that people have been banned for which include things like scamming, phishing, hacking, owning botnets, etc. These people get banned if the activity is at the present time, or even if its years in the past. Now, the bans are either supposed to "clean" the forum of people that participate in these activities because Sythe deems them inappropriate, or to protect the users of Sythe from the people who may be malicious.

Now lets focus on the bans that are happening for people who admitted to doing something in the past. Recently, someone was banned for mentioning that he used to phish a couple of years ago. Do you believe that this type of ban is fair? In admitting to the act it can be assumed it is no longer happening (if it was, they would try to hide it). Thus the person poses no danger to the Sythe community, so why must we ban them? Everyone has made mistakes in the past and there are many people on Sythe that admit to mistakes much like his, who are not banned for them (including me). So why can't a simple PM to the user telling them to keep the discussion of phishing off of Sythe be sufficient?

Now for actions that are currently happening. If someone is a member of a hacking website and shows interest in learning to hack people, they are banned from Sythe. This is both an attempt to protect Sythe.org members, but also to keep people who associate this these behaviors off of Sythe. However, banning the user doesn't even make much sense. Hacking Sythe users doesn't require a Sythe.org account, so banning the person serves no purpose. As long as the actions are kept off of Sythe, why should we even care what they do? They are a danger to the site whether or not we allow them to have an account so instead of banning a potentially great contributer, why don't we just let them be as long as their actions stay off of the site?

So what do you guys think? Should Sythe.org members be held to Sythe.org rules no matter what date the offence was committed and regardless of where it was committed? Should certain offences be treated differently than others? Does it matter if someone is participating in hacking on one website while using Sythe with no malicious intent?

3. Unread #2 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:43 PM
  4. Corey
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    UWotM8? <3 n4n0 Oktoberfest 2013 Village Drunk Shitting Rainbow Potamus Sythe Awards 2012 Winner Wait, do you not have an Archer rank? MushyMuncher

Corey Grand Master
    Crabby Retired Global Moderator

Off-site actions should not deserve a ban.

If I get in a fight at my school, anywhere on school property, sure, I should be suspended/expelled. If I get into a fight at home, should I be suspended/expelled from school? Nope, what I do off school property is of no business to my School.

Full support!

5. Unread #3 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:45 PM
  6. ChrisCol
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Username:
    chris sythe#0988
    Tier 1 Prizebox

ChrisCol Formerly known as ChrisColpitts
    $25 USD Donor

For past offences i fully believe that they should not be banned for. If someone phished 3 years ago in runescape how does that have any effect on current day? Most likely (depending on what they said) they don't do it anymore. As for things that happen off-site on current day i think that it should depend on the situation. If they show interest in scamming members/phishing sythe account/keylogging ect.. then yes they should be banned. If it is a less serious scenario where there is a slim possibility that they may harm a sythe member perhaps they should just earn a TWC.

7. Unread #4 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:45 PM
  8. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    <3 n4n0 Two Factor Authentication User Community Participant Spam Forum Participant Sythe's 10th Anniversary

SuF Legend

What if you get into a fight with another student from your school at your home? Like if a Sythe user scammed another Sythe user on another site?

9. Unread #5 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM
  10. Corey
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    UWotM8? <3 n4n0 Oktoberfest 2013 Village Drunk Shitting Rainbow Potamus Sythe Awards 2012 Winner Wait, do you not have an Archer rank? MushyMuncher

Corey Grand Master

Its none of the school's business. Nor would I be suspended/expelled.

11. Unread #6 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:48 PM
  12. ChrisCol
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Username:
    chris sythe#0988
    Tier 1 Prizebox

$25 USD Donor

Actually it is, and depending on what happened you can be suspended or expelled.

13. Unread #7 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:48 PM
  14. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

It has an effect because it defines their character. People love saying "Once a scammer always a scammer". Although, I do not find that to be true at all.

Everything really depends on the situation. What type of Sythe rule breaks do you think should be ignored? Should you get banned for using torrents?

15. Unread #8 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM
  16. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

It becomes the schools business due to it being between two members of the school. I know my school has gotten people in trouble at school for going to parties for my schools students where they had weed and alcohol.

Depends on the school really.

17. Unread #9 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM
  18. Corey
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Corey Grand Master

Actually you are wrong. Plenty of fights happen where I live, off school property, someone has yet to be suspended/expelled. If however, it happened on school property, they would have been.

And yes, it was reported to the school because parents have went to the school about it, trying to have something done about it, but they were unable to act because it didnt happen on school property.

19. Unread #10 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM
  20. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Obviously depends on the school. Real world analogies do not work very well. Apply it to the internet. If I run my own forum and two Sythe members join and one scams another, should Sythe take action and ban the scammer?

21. Unread #11 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM
  22. i noob killer i
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

i noob killer i Grand Master
    $5 USD Donor

I totally agree with this Especially if it was like 2 years ago .

23. Unread #12 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM
  24. pure skillzz
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

pure skillzz Guru
    $5 USD Donor

I support.

25. Unread #13 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM
  26. ChrisCol
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Username:
    chris sythe#0988
    Tier 1 Prizebox

$25 USD Donor

Exactly. I don't think any should be ignored, but in some situations exceptions to the rules. For example:

Sythe member inquires about how to set-up a key-logger.
    Sythe member is then banned.

If this person has shown through his posts and activity on the site that he is of good character why should we believe it was for malicious intent? Perhaps he thinks his girlfriend (who lives with him) is cheating and wants to catch her. Or he is simply interested in knowing how to do something like this

27. Unread #14 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM
  28. JezusTime
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

JezusTime Apprentice
    Banned

Support, Offsite is offsite.

Sythe.org rules apply to Sythe.org only.

29. Unread #15 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM
  30. The Legit Shop
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

The Legit Shop Guru
    Banned

Agree with this thread completely. If they aren't doing something directly harmful to sythe then sythe shouldn't care.

31. Unread #16 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM
  32. SuF
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:

SuF Legend

Sythe member on another site I'm assuming? The hard thing about what your saying is that it puts a lot of stress on the moderators to decide who is of malicious intent and who isn't. Plus, he could have perfect character on Sythe because he knows the rules and sticks to them while on Sythe, even though he does not so good things off of Sythe.

33. Unread #17 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:57 PM
  34. ChrisCol
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Username:
    chris sythe#0988
    Tier 1 Prizebox

$25 USD Donor

Well perhaps your school is an exception but in the majority of schools this is not even close to being the case. Also if you live in canada/most of the U.S i would be inclined to think that you are lying to make your self look more knowledgeable.

35. Unread #18 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:57 PM
  36. ConJacKed
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

ConJacKed Apprentice
    Do Not Trade

Full support. If it happens on another site, they shouldn't be banned here. Its none of Sythes business what happens on other sites....
    Unless it is an actual danger to people on Sythe (Been scamming RECENTLY ect)

37. Unread #19 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM
  38. Transfer
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Transfer Forum Addict
    Banned

No, Sythe shouldn't ban the scammer.
    The scammer should get the chance to refund.
    However, if he/she doesn't, they should then get banned.
    I believe that it is unfair to be banned for off-site actions.

39. Unread #20 - Aug 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM
  40. ChrisCol
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Username:
    chris sythe#0988
    Tier 1 Prizebox

$25 USD Donor

Yes i mean off-site. And i completely agree, that is why there should be exceptions at the discretion of the moderators. If it seems as though it probably wasn't for malicious intent and they are of good character on sythe there is no reason why a second chance with a TWC or something along those lines could not be given out

< Update this | Close your post. >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Adblock breaks this site