[Guide]How To Replace Windows XP's Awful Notepad with a GOOD ONE!

Discussion in 'Archives' started by MatthewGor123, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Unread #1 - Nov 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM
  2. MatthewGor123
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

MatthewGor123 Guru
    Do Not Trade

In this guide, I will be teaching you all how to replace the shitty, standard Notepad with the much more effective, efficient, powerful, and just more aesthetically pleasing Notepad2!

Okay, before you call me a hypocrite and whatnot - there's nothing like SELF-ADMISSION. I *know* you can find this guide on Google very easily, I'm basically just adding pictures and explaining what each the steps does. Here is a link where you can find this guide: http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/04/30/124093.aspx, but without the pictures and explanation. The explanation can protect you from doing something really stupid that screws up your computer.

This guide OVERWRITES the standard Notepad with Notepad2, which is much better for stuff like Java coding (and finding errors in scripts), while not using up much RAM at all. And it looks much better, while maintaining ALL the standard features and much, much more.

So, let's begin!

Step 1) Download Notepad2, and extract the .exe anywhere [you can just drag Notepad2.exe to the desktop]. I saved it to my Desktop for easy access. Does this step *really* need images? Didn't think so. You can find Notepad2.exe here.

Step 2) Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System32. Of course, it depends on what drive you've installed Windows XP onto, but for most people it should be the C drive. Once you've done this, in Windows Explorer, hit Tools -> Folder Options;

[​IMG]

In Folder Options, |UNCHECK| "Hide Protected OS Files" and hit Apply/Okay.

[​IMG]

Step 2.5) You should see a new folder in your System32 folder called "dllcache". Open that folder [it should be sort of "transparent" on the Explorer screen].

[​IMG]

This folder stores all the VITAL system files, so you want to be very careful when messing around in here. This is ALL you should do in here. Just keep in mind, though, that you can edit many of the standard programs such as Paint, Minesweeper, etc. with better versions of them by following a simple, similar procedure.

Step 3) Keep C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache open. Remember Notepad2.exe? The one we just extracted to the desktop? Rename it to "Notepad.exe" (without the quotes, of course).

[​IMG]

Right click it, and select "Copy"

[​IMG]

Back in the dllcache folder, select "Edit -> Paste".

[​IMG]

If you are prompted to replace the ~61KB Notepad with the ~260KB Notepad [I don't have a screeny of this, since I've already rewritten mine], you are on the right track. If not, you must have done something wrong. Make sure you have a file called Notepad.exe in the dllcache folder, and that you've renamed Notepad2.exe as Notepad.exe. I *know* you could have just done Control+C, Control+V, but when you're modifying stuff in such vital Windows folders, why risk selecting the wrong file or something like that? Better safe than sorry. The dllcache folder tells Windows what files to revert back to if anything gets modified, so now we have told Windows to use Notepad2 after it restarts if anything else gets changed.

Step 4) We're almost done! Still in the dllcache folder, hit "Up" in Windows Explorer to navigate back to C:\Windows\System32. [OPTIONAL: If you think you'll ever want your Notepad back -- why would you??

[​IMG]

Once you are here, paste Notepad2 (still where you extracted it - named Notepad.exe) in this folder as well (so copy it, then paste it again). Once again, choose to replace the file. This time, you should be prompted:

[​IMG]

Hit "Cancel" and this pops up:

[​IMG]

Select "Yes"!!!!! Voila! No more SHITTY Notepad! You will now see that when you open up .txt, .java, or any other file you would have previously opened in Notepad, it will open up with Notepad2, which has all the features of Notepad and much, much more :) You can find out more about Notepad2 here.

[​IMG]

If you want, you can now go back to Windows Explorer and re-check "Hide Protected OS Files" for the safety of Windows system folders, but that is optional. Keep in mind that you can use any other upgraded Notepad and just use the exact same method. You can also change many other standard Windows features.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

For Windows Vista users, the process is almost identical. [I will be adding pictures when I get a chance to get on a Windows Vista computer.] According to this website, here are the basic differences:

1) The folders in which you need to replace Notepad with Notepad2 (using the same rename/replace process) are: C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System32, and C:\Windows\Syswow64.

2) In each of these folders, you must make sure you "take ownership" of each of these files (Notepad.exe in each of these folders). This step is not entirely necessary, because most of the time this comes standard with the administrator files. But in case something weird has happened, here is a guide I found on how to do so: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html. This guide is great, because it is easy to follow and has two different methods of doing it, and also includes great pictures.

3) Once you have ownership of the old Notepad.exe in all three directories, you should be able to replace Notepad with Notepad2 (which of course you renamed as Notepad.exe).

I will add pictures when I find a computer with Vista, but not for the "How to Take Ownership" tutorial, because that one is just plain great.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Suggestions? Comments? Don't hesitate to post them! I know this guide is simple and found on Google, but I felt like sharing it with you guys and adding some pictures/clarification.

3. Unread #2 - Nov 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM
  4. Shin
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Discord Unique ID:
    Pool Shark (4) Village Drunk <3 n4n0 (29) Battleship Champion

Shin Join the Sythe.org Discord
    Retired Administrator Legendary Mudkips $100 USD Donor

Hehe, nice Guide Matt.

You do know that you're a User Educator now? Lol.
    -You should have posted this in the General Computing/Internet Education Forum.

Anyways.. I'll give you a 8/10, but that's only because you said it could be Googled.

Good use of colors / pictures. :D

5. Unread #3 - Nov 29, 2008 at 5:13 AM
  6. Gonzo0193
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Gonzo0193 Member

Very nice guide id give it a 9/10, old notepad fails

7. Unread #4 - Nov 29, 2008 at 5:15 AM
  8. Necromancer24
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Necromancer24 Grand Master
    Do Not Trade

Hmm... Good guide Matt. But maybe you could make a guide with pictures for us Vista users? :)

9. Unread #5 - Nov 29, 2008 at 5:18 AM
  10. 'HaVoK'
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

'HaVoK' Apprentice
    Banned

its a good guide, 9/10 but i agree can you update for vista too?

11. Unread #6 - Nov 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM
  12. MatthewGor123
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

MatthewGor123 Guru
    Do Not Trade

Good point :p Ah well, I like it here ^_^

Added :) No pictures yet, because I don't have access to a Windows Vista computer ATM, but I'll get on that shortly. Notice the directories, and the tutorial I posted on how to take ownership of system files.

13. Unread #7 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:40 AM
  14. R33l2r3al
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

R33l2r3al Grand Master
    $5 USD Donor Retired Global Moderator

It'll get more attention here in this section anyways. :p On a side note though, I am also a vista user and would like to see this guide for vista.

Great job though. 9/10

15. Unread #8 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM
  16. J a K e Y
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

J a K e Y Guru
    Banned

Nice guide mate, going to give this ago in a minute.

17. Unread #9 - Nov 29, 2008 at 8:16 PM
  18. Rawr
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Pokémon Trainer

Rawr Addict.
    Retired Sectional Moderator $100 USD Donor

The layout keeps my attention and makes me want to read the whole thing, which I did. So, great job on that, otherwise I like it, as most of your other guides. 8/10 because the topic somewhat bored me. :)

19. Unread #10 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM
  20. Sanctuary
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Sanctuary Community Cuddle Puddle

9/10, but I kinda like notepad

xD

21. Unread #11 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM
  22. MatthewGor123
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

MatthewGor123 Guru
    Do Not Trade

Notepad is fine, but Notepad2 has all the features AND MORE, isn't more RAM-intensive, and is much more aesthetically pleasing :p. Thanks for the rate ^_^

23. Unread #12 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:23 PM
  24. sliced
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

sliced Apprentice
    Banned

Nice guide.Along with all of your other guides detailed 2.

25. Unread #13 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:52 PM
  26. Tru3 Mast3r
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Tru3 Mast3r Forum Addict
    Do Not Trade

really? how so, you would have to add this program correct?
    it will take up more space theoretically

27. Unread #14 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM
  28. MatthewGor123
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

MatthewGor123 Guru
    Do Not Trade

Notepad2 is 260KB. Notepad is 60KB. If 200KB of memory makes a difference, you might need a new hard drive :)

As per Mem Usage while running, I haven't seen a significant difference - and the feature are VERY helpful, especially if you're into coding.

29. Unread #15 - Nov 29, 2008 at 11:57 PM
  30. Tru3 Mast3r
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Tru3 Mast3r Forum Addict
    Do Not Trade

Thanks for explaining,
    8/10

PS. I do need new hard drive... lol

also Congratz, me and Unbann3d were just talkin bout u lol

31. Unread #16 - Nov 30, 2008 at 4:06 AM
  32. Sanctuary
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Sanctuary Community Cuddle Puddle

I have no clue what that means xD

< selling pure names | Why do you still play runescape? >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest

Adblock breaks this site