Computer Maintenance Guide and Tips!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Paralysisâ„¢, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Unread #1 - Oct 29, 2011 at 10:35 PM
  2. Paralysisâ„¢
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Paralysisâ„¢ Guru
    Banned

I'd greatly appreciate Feedback on the guide :).

Table of Contents
    • I. Introduction
    • CCleaner/Registry
    • II. Common Problems
    • Malwarebytes
    • Spybot Search & Destroy
    • Defraggler
    • III. Conclusion

I. Introduction
    One of the most common questions concerning computers is "Why is my computer so slow?" and "What can I do to improve proformance, and the life of my computer?" Well I decided to make this little guide to help the people who might not be a 'wiz' with computers, and maybe even give some seasoned veterans a few tips. Proper maintenance of your computer is vital to let your computer run at optimal speed and efficiency. Most people don't need a super fast top of the line Computer and overclocking to run what they need too, with a few simple programs and a little time you can have your computer running up to 100 times faster! These methods have been tested by me through the years, I use them when I fix other peoples computers and it works fine, the best thing about this whole process? It's simple! No need for these complicated programs that some PC guru's might tell you to use, no need to go into MS-DOS or any other part of your computer. A faster, more efficient PC is at your fingertips! In this guide I will give you in depth information on exactly what the program does, how to use it, and how it affects you and your PC. Enjoy!

Crap Cleaner!
    I swear by this program! I use it everyday to help clear useless files off my computer.

What does it do? - CCleaner is a program that utilizes what most browsers lack on, and that is Clearing useless internet files (Temporary files, cookies, URLs, History, ect) Totally off of your computer's hard drive. Simply clicking "Clear history" on your browser just puts all the useless junk that collects as you browse the internet and puts it in a secluded area on your PC, thats great but after awhile it can really bog down your computer.

How to use it? - Once you Download this program ensure that everything you want deleted is checked on the "Windows & Applications" tab of Ccleaner once you open it, Then simply hit RUN CLEANER (This may take a few minutes) and it should delete all the useless junk! Freeing up tons of MB's (maybe even GB's) of data.

What is Registry: Registry in simple terms is a big log of references for everything that goes on in your computer, from applications you install to the vital functions that allow your computer to function. Many people often neglect the Registry, for lack of understanding how vital the registry is and how it affects your overall performance. Everytime you uninstall something it leaves empty registry errors,
    over time these can cause many headaches as those errors add up, slowing down your computer and sometimes it can even cause so many errors that your computer crashes! Luckily CCleaner has a very nice reliable Registry cleaner built into it, no need to download risky 3rd party software! Simply open CCleaner click Registry Tab > Scan for issues (You can backup your files but you don't have too, I don't) > A bunch of errors should pop up > Fix Selected Issues The first time I cleaned my registry I had over 1000 Registry errors!

Download Link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

II. Common Problems

Many problems that are associated with slow computers stem from one major point other than clutter, what is it? VIRUS'S AND MALWARE! You think you're computer is totally clean? Well chances are you have some kind of virus lurking around on your computer. Virus's and Malware can steal passwords, log action you do, harm critical files in windows, and just do all sorts of nasty things to your computer. Make sure you have a decent Virus protection system.

Malwarebytes
    This is another program I sware by!

What is Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes is a free Anti-Malware program. The special thing about Malwarebytes is its amazing reputation to find, and fix many 'Hard-to-kill' infections. You might be asking yourself "Well I have an anti-malware program and it works just fine" That might be the case, but all too often I see people who get software either when they buy there computer or its given to them or they download it and it doesn't catch too much. I'm going to put a few major Virus programs under the gun: Norton, MCafee, ect. I've used all these programs and they have not caught some of the stuff Malwarebytes has, plus they cost money after a while. I ask that you just try to scan with Malwarebytes even if you already have another Anti-virus program, who knows you might find something that saves your computer or information in the long-run.

How to use it: All that is needed to run this program is to install, open it, and click Scan. Malwarebytes will do the rest!

Download Link: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html

Spybot S&D

What is Spybot S&D: Spybot S&D (Search and Destroy) is a Anti-Virus, it is free and I think it is one of the best free Anti-Virus's out there (Comparable to AVG which is also a very good anti-virus). I personally use Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D together, I run them both at the same time one catches Malware and the other Virus's, its a great combo and I have never had any infectious problems once these 2 have got done working!

How to use: One thing that makes Spybot stand out from the rest is its immunation process, when you start it up it will go through a series of set up options just follow through with them it includes: Backup, Immunization, Clearing of Temporary Internet files, ect.
    The first thing I'd suggest you doing is clicking the Update tab and selecting your country flag (It doesn't matter which you pick just quicker downloads) then following getting Spybot up to date click the 'Immunize' tab and Immunize your system (This protects you from millions of malicious sites), finally once thats done Go to 'Scan' and scan your system!

Download Link: http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

Defragmenting

Defragmenting: One of the most overlooked aspects of PC Maintenence also, a proper defragmenting. As you install, change, and move programs over your computer fragments of them get spread out all over your HDD, This clutters up precious file space and bogs down your computer. A simple defragmentation of your computer in itself can make your computer up to 50x faster.

What is Defraggler: Defraggler is a product put out by the same people who make 'CCleaner.' Its a wonderful program. Every Windows computer comes equipped already with it's own Defragmenter (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defragmenter) However I find "Defraggler" more appealing as it is in my opinion; Faster, and supplies more information. You can use Defraggler (Which is what I use) or the default windows program. It's up too you. Note: if this is your first time defragmenting it can take several HOURS to complete depending on how big your HDD is. Obviously a 90gb HDD will be quicker to defrag than a 500gb HDD.

Download Link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler

III. Conclusion

With all this being said, if you take what you have just learned from this guide I guarantee your computer will be running faster and more efficient in no time! Remember that I have tested each and every one of these methods and they are 100% genuine. I hope that you have learned something you didn't know from reading this guide and I look forward to your opinions on it.

Thank you!​

3. Unread #2 - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM
  4. Pockets
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:
    Connect 4 Champion Green Finger

Pockets Don't cheat the man in the glass.
    Zombie Retired Sectional Moderator Competition Winner $100 USD Donor New

Looks like a great start to a guide! Nice work :)

If I were you, I'd add some section regarding physical maintenance and where to place a computer, etc.

5. Unread #3 - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM
  6. Paralysisâ„¢
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Paralysisâ„¢ Guru
    Banned

Thank's :) Also appreciate the feedback.

7. Unread #4 - Oct 30, 2011 at 8:32 AM
  8. wackywamba
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

wackywamba Guru

Just from scanning through, I saw a few mistakes.

It would be their, but to be correct you would say "its".

Swear.

I don't mean to be a grammar Nazi, I can just see you put some effort into this so I wanted to help out.

Edit: Also, like pockets said - physical maintenance is also important so it would be nice to see that.

9. Unread #5 - Oct 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM
  10. Paralysisâ„¢
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Paralysisâ„¢ Guru
    Banned

Thank's for the tips fixed grammar :)

11. Unread #6 - Oct 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM
  12. Airman Gilbert
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Airman Gilbert Forum Addict
    Banned

My secret against keeping my computer clean is turning off my firewall, and not using anti virus software. I am just careful with what I download :)

13. Unread #7 - Oct 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM
  14. Paralysisâ„¢
    Referrals:
    Sythe Gold:

Paralysisâ„¢ Guru
    Banned

Well atleast scan it :)

< How to advertise your website/business easily. | How to: Make a good thread! >

Users viewing this thread
1 guest

Adblock breaks this site