Taken from: http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57980
Today is a special day, as it marks the first public
So what is Simba? This is largely covered in other threads such as the official Simba announce
Simba is the ultimate Macro Engine. A quick summary:
- Simba is free to the bone; you don't have to pay anything for it and you can discover exactly how it works. It is open source.
- Cross platform. Simba 0.91 is only for Windows, but there are already versions of Simba on Linux, and Mac support is hopefully following.
- Actively developed; it is still under heavily development; so don't be amazed when you see regular updates that touch core features of Simba (the GUI).
- Open minded. We welcome all sorts of criticism and ideas.
- Documented. There is documentation on how to use Simba as well on how Simba actually works.
- Extensible; you can write your own extensions (or plug-ins, depending on how you want to call them) for Simba. You don't need anything but Simba to do this; and the extensions can vary from updaters, little user interface enhancements, to powerful tools like DTM editors.
- Simba is stable and quite fast
- Upcoming support for other programming languages.
- Run multiple scripts
- Code hints and completion
- Colour Picker History
- Auto updates
- Handful of useful tools to aid you while scripting.
- Full access to all settings
... and much, much more.
The Simba installer can be found here
, along with zips of a Simba folder in the same directory
. The Simba version as of this release is 0.9, with 703 as the initial revision of Simba. We chose a version of 0.9 as several important features are still missing, like the script manager. Once these are finished, 1.0 will be released.
This release contains several Simba Extensions
. These vary from updaters (for keeping your SRL and Reflection up to date) to dtm editors and firewalls. You will have to activate all the extensions you want to use.
(Menu -> View -> Extensions)
Simba 0.9 is fully compatible with the latest SRL; and is marked as stable
. (This doesn't mean it actually is stable, but it looks like it actually is stable so far) It works with all Simba scripts; and it is not too hard to turn a SCAR script into a Simba script. Simba also has the ability to update itself upon new updates; so your software will never be outdated!
A huge thanks go out to all those that have tested Simba. Simba would not have been where it is now without you guys...
A few links to help you get started...
Simba Documentation (Not complete)
Simba and SRL Bug System
Simba subforum on SRL
All Simba downloads
Official Simba Site
The Simba (and SRL) development team.
Edit: This seemed like the appropriate place to place this, if its not please feel free to move it.