06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
New Account Scam; Sellers BEWARE.
Well I've been trading on the Black Market here for nearly a whole year now and recently (past 2 months) on two occasions I have found this new scam bubbling about the Account Sales Section, so therefore I believe that it is spreading.
The purpose of this scam is for the seller to be banned on Sythe.org, and if the buyer plays the chargeback and recovery right, he could gain his money back, but it isn't certain. There is no way to dispute it because the fake evidence will convince anyone that the seller stole the account back. The point of this scam may seem odd because there is potentially no gain to the scammer whatsoever (unless they can re-recover the account).
Below I have a breakdown on how it has worked both time that I've been scammed. (FYI: I just got lucky and recovered both accounts, so the scam failed.)
The scam is usually done with PayPal because the buyer will just chargeback the payment and recover the account (provided that the seller gave full account details) when the scam is done. If the recovery fails, the scammer loses nothing and still gets you banned. If the recovery goes through, the scammer gets you banned, and gets your account.
For the sake of the example lets use SytherA and SytherB, with SytherA being the seller and SytherB being the buyer (scammer).
And the rest is history, there is honestly no way that someone can dispute (fake) evidence like that.
Moral of the story is to NEVER be nice and volunteer to help someone get thier account back, regardless of ethics. If they truely need it back, give them the details again, don't get it yourself.
I hope this thread gets stickied in the Account Sales Section so that others may avoid this scam before it becomes a real problem.
- SytherA decides to sell his RuneScape account for $50 to SytherB.
- SytherA and B both ignorantly agree that a MM isn't needed because they're both trusted.
- The trade goes spactacular and SytherA gets his $50 while SytherB gets his account.
- SytherB (scammer) then waits a few days and comes back to SytherA either accusing him of recovering the account or saying someone else stole it.
- SytherA will of course reject the idea that he/she stole it because its true.
- SytherB then asks SytherA to recover the account for him/her because he/she "forgot" the details of the account. (You may see other reasons such as: no/low internet connection, don't know how, not enough time).
- SytherA figures that he/she would be nice and just get the account back for the person and give them the new password via MSN, Yahoo, AIM, etc.
- Once the account is recovered SytherA meets SytherB in a chat and SytherB asks "Did you take the account back?", a very neutral question that can be taken both ways. (other ways can be: "Did you recover my account?")
- SytherA, already knowing what he/she is talking about, will say "yes."
- Now before anyone says anything else, SytherB will screenshot the chat where SytherA "admits" to scamming him/her.
- The aftermath results in SytherA being banned from Sythe.org from scamming, SytherB re-recovering the account and chargingback on PayPal to gain $50 and the account, and theres nothing SytherA can do about it because he/she is banned now.